Menopause is a completely natural biological process. It is a journey that all women experience and a normal transition of the female body. For many women, this transition is accompanied by uncomfortable and sometimes severe physiological symptoms. Many of these symptoms are due to hormonal changes and imbalances occurring in the body, and women are looking for natural solutions.
Menopausal symptoms are often severe enough that women require treatment to help ease the symptoms. Physicians regularly prescribe hormone replacement therapy drugs and antidepressants, and while they may ease the symptoms, they carry health risks and side effects. The risks have led many women to search for natural and toxin-free remedies. Here are a few natural self-care options that provide some relief to menopause symptoms:
- Maintain a healthy diet that includes calcium, vitamin D, and protein rich foods
- Exercise or yoga help regulate your body rhythm
- Eliminate cigarettes, caffeine, and alcohol
- Use essential oils
Essential oils can be therapeutic in easing the most common menopausal symptoms including hot flashes, headaches, fatigue, mood and mental imbalance, and irregular menstrual cycles. Some of the essential oils that can help provide relief include Bergamot, Chamomile, Clary Sage, Fennel, Geranium, Jasmine, Lavender, Melissa, Cypress, Peppermint and Rose. Try diffusing or apply topically to address your symptoms:
- Bergamot has properties that can be beneficial to ease symptoms of depression, anxiety, and insomnia.
- Chamomile has hormonal properties and is calming.
- Jasmine helps with moods and helps balance hormones. It is also effective for menstrual problems.
- Lavender is useful in balancing the body as well as helps with sleep and relaxation.
- Peppermint dabbed on the temples or behind the neck helps with headaches.
- Rose has been used historically for menstrual problems as it has been said that it helps tone the uterus, and regulate the menstrual cycle.
- Studies show that aromatherapy massage helps reduce menopausal symptoms. DREAM Restful Sleep or MANTRA Stress Away can help increase the effectiveness of massages.
Women experience menopause symptoms at various levels at different times, and will need to determine what works best for them. They key is to take care of yourself, and to feel your best during the journey. Another benefit of using essential oils is the wonderful aromas allow your medicine to also be your perfume!